- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill — hosts a website with information about job, internship, and fellowship opportunities.
- AATSEEL job list — provides information about positions on academic faculties, as well as in research centers, language resource centers, and more.
- Centreeurope.org — Provides a nice list of employers. A more comprehensive version may be available in French at http://www.centreurope.org/jobs/index.htm
- Modern Languages Association — website provides a wealth of information for those seeking academic positions in foreign language departments. To browse the job lists online, one requires a subscription to the organization and a password. However, the sections on preparing for interviews and the job application process are accessible to all.
- Chronicle of Higher Education — its job lists include academic, administrative, staff, and non-academic positions. Advice columns and links to diverse sources of information about the job search process are particularly helpful.
- University of Arizona's Career Services Center — (or the equivalent at your college or univeristy) can help you find employment opportunities and internships, and provide job interview training, sample resumes, and databases of potential employers.
- American Councils — American Councils operates study-abroad programs, provides research opportunities, and publishes books and web sites. They also offer conferences, administer standardized tests, manage information centers, act as a consultant to governments, and advocate policy on language education around the world.
- IREX (the International Research & Exchanges Board) — The premier US nonprofit organization, specializing in higher education, independent media, Internet development, and civil society programs in the United States, Europe, Eurasia, the Near East, and Asia. Their job list is updated regularly.
- ListServs — In addition to web resources, those seeking employment should subscribe to listservs.
Compiled by Professor Lisa Wakamiya and Michael Brewer
Possible Employment Settings
- Almanac of International Jobs & Careers by Ronald and Caryl Krannich, 1994.
- Guide to Careers in World Affairs by the Editors of the Foreign Policy Association, 1987.
- How to Get a Job in Europe by Robert Sanborn, 1993.
- International Job Finder: Where the Jobs are Worldwide by Daniel Lauber & Kraig Rice, 2002.
- International Jobs Directory (serial publication) 1999.
- Live & Work in Russia and Eastern Europe by Jonathan Packer, 1998.
- Summer Jobs Abroad 2005 by David Woodworth and Victoria Pybus, 2005.
- Opportunities in International Business by Jeffrey S. Arpan, 1991.
- Working Abroad: The Complete Guide to Overseas Employment by Godfrey Golzen, 2004.
- Transitions Online
- Eurasia Foundation
- Earth Island Institute
- ISAR [Initiative for Social Action and Renewal in Eurasia]
- National Democratic Institute for International Affairs
- Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
- ATSEEL Internship Page
- Education World - http://www.education-world.com/jobs/jt_foreign_lang.html
- The Agora Employment Listings— http://agoralang.com/agora/employment.html
- Living Abroad — http://www.livingabroad.com
- Electronic Embassy — http://www.embassy.org
- Jobs Overseas — http://www.overseasjobs.com
- Teaching Overseas — http://www.joyjobs.com/
- The United Nations — http://www.un.org
- Travel Industry Association of America — http://www.tia.org
- American Association of Language Specialists — http://www.taals.net
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages — http://www.actfl.org
- American Translators Association — http://www.atanet.org
- Moscow Expatriot Site — http://www.expat.ru/