The University of Arizona
Sabbatical Guidelines for Librarians
*Complete guidelines for the Sabbatical Application process are located at: http://facultyaffairs.arizona.edu/sabbatical/
The criteria for Sabbatical Leave are fully explained in UHAP Chapter 8:03.02 Sabbatical Leave.
The University prizes an inclusive view of scholarship with the recognition that knowledge is acquired and advanced through research, synthesis, practice, and teaching. Given this philosophy, sabbatical leaves are to be granted to further any of the following objectives: research and publication, teaching improvement (including the creation of teaching materials such as new textbooks, software, multimedia materials, or casebooks), intensive public service clearly related to the applicant's expertise, and integration and interpretation of existing knowledge into larger interdisciplinary frameworks.
2. Documentation (3 copies must be provided to the Chair of the Sabbatical Leave Advisory Committee) - by mid November
Application packet should include:
- Completed application form.
- Description of proposed sabbatical project.
- Curriculum vita
- Letter of evaluation from reviewer other than team leader and preferably outside the applicant's home team(s)
addressed to the Chair of the LFA Sabbatical Leave Advisory Committee.
- This person should be someone well qualified to comment on the merit of the proposed sabbatical project.
- Librarians similarly situated at other institutions and UA faculty "customers" are often chosen for this purpose.
- Letter from Team Leader reflecting full team input to include:
- whether the team supports the sabbatical proposal.
- if the team supports the proposal, it must also provide details as to whether and how the team will cover the applicant's work during the applicant's absence.
- indication of team support and coverage.
- Sept. 15 LFA chair appoints the Sabbatical Committee.
- Sabbatical committee will issue a timeline for Sabbatical applicants by Sept. 30.
- Sabbatical timeline will include:
- Applicants must notify chair of LFA and their Team that they are interested in applying for Sabbatical by the first week in November.
- Date application documentation must be submitted to Team for consideration by the first week of November. At the same time, the LFA chair will provide the Team and the Sabbatical Leave Committee with the LFA guidelines including the Provost Guidelines and UHAP 8.03.02.
- Must sign and send documentation to the Chair of the Sabbatical Leave Committee by mid November.
- Date LFA Sabbatical Leave committee must submit their recommendation to the Dean or Associate Dean of Libraries by the first week in Dec.
- Date the Dean of Libraries must submit documentation to the Provost is January 15.
- Applicants informed of denials by January 15.
- Applicants informed of approvals by February 1.