1. Discussion on consultant/trainers
Decision on Langevin.
2. Report on “Furniture” meeting
3. Report on meeting with Lynne Tronsdale/”hole” visit
4. Review training materials/ opportunities available
Heather Weiland (University of Calgary)
Can get release for anytime except November (contract work)
What Heather can address
- creating highly participative workshops
- step by step pieces of designing content for adult learners
- developing curriculum
- pointers on production end
Questions 1. can she come in twice? Get us started and the later
2. Her cost? 3. Consult from a distance
- Is she a “trainer of trainees”?
- Does she have validated materials ready to use?
- What can we do before she does this?
- Who of us will (I.e. – Train) actually write materials
- Can we use her in another way? Consult, advise as needed not for a “workshop”
HR – no new info: can they provide training for trainers?
Langevin – expensive but will probably provide us with all we need to do our job.
UTC – could provide elements we need, not all.
Summary: We need more info from Heather, and may want to use her later, but Langevin may be way to go now.
- Should we go forward with a subset of our group?
Who will commit to training (11/2-11/4) and necessary time to write training (4-6 hours per week)
Committed: Jim, Limell, Chris, Joe, Guillermo, Lori, Ruth, Laura
(Faith and Debbie will need to confirmation their teams/supervisors)
(Greg and Vicki will answer on email list)
Barb – no
1. Review of training opportunities/materials
- Guillermo – Tutor Training (retraining each semester)
Schedules, certifications lists of skills/training referral
Services, newsletter updates, training on tutoring behavior (e.g. let students do work, not tutor0
Special attention given to foreign students
- Limell - Student technology Preceptor Training – taps into existing into existing services
Library UST Workshops
College of Ag.
AZ Health Sciences Library
CD-ROM’s in MVL
Cedar workshops (e.g. access)
Preceptors must complete “75 points of completion” in the semester
- Joe CCIT – operational manual (behaviors, setup/shut down, policies, procedures
- Barb – Network orientated training - need details
- Chris – U. of Calgary – a. staff training manuals b. open session – word, PowerPoint, web, email, windows, catalog
List of services/skills compare to training available
AR: Lori and Limell
Distilled list of top databases
Reference Desk Data Collection
AR: Joe CCIT labs
From Oct. 1st – 31st.
AR: Chris - will book room
Marriott Nov. 1,2, 3, 4 (4 nights)
AR: Ruth - Rooms A313-314 (Main Library)
AR: Lori - Airline/airfare
AR: Laura – will re-contact Heather regarding revised role as consultant – visit in Feb. to give us feedback on our progress.
Agenda for Next Week
1. Determine number of attendees
Full commitment needed by 9/20/00 by IC training group
Commitment by invited “outsiders” $1200/individual
2. Update on Heather from Calgary regarding Feb. trip to advise and give us feedback
What we want to do between now and Langevin
4. Determine homework before Langevin training.
Look to assigning responsibilities for various “Modules”.